October, October, the bewitching season! It’s a season full of fun family traditions. Some of our favorites include:
- visiting corn mazes
- eating homemade donuts and wassail
- driving through the Provo canyon to enjoy the autumn leaves
- picking pumpkins from a local pumpkin patch
But October is more than a month for costumes and candy, it’s also family history month!
So today we wanted to share with you a new product we just got into the store. It’s called Folks and Fables and is a family history kit made especially for October.
Here’s how it works:
- Two weeks before Halloween, gather the kids and fill out the family tree included in the tin.
- Each night leading up to Halloween, Boo the Cat (also included) finds a memento (a story, treat, or item) representative of an ancestor on your family tree. Boo takes the memento and hides himself in your home. If great-grandma adored double chocolate brownies, for instance, Boo might hide behind a plateful of brownies. If grandpa loved climbing trees as a boy, maybe Boo hides in a branch outside.
- Each morning, help your children search for Boo. Share stories and memories about what he discovered about your ancestors.
This is just one fun way to discover your ancestors during family history month. We’d love to hear what you and your family are doing to celebrate. Share your ideas below!